OPPOSE Kitsap County, Washington Proposed Pet Sale Ban
At a time in our country when government should be supporting small business, Kitsap County Commissioners in Washington State are preparing to vote on an animal rights-driven ordinance prohibit the retail sales of puppies and kittens except from a "certified animal welfare organization" or bred onsite at a small-scale breeder. This ordinace will be voted on Monday, May 6, 2019. Please learn more below and send your opposition to the County Commissioners.
Kitsap County claims that it held "numerous stakeholder interviews" to inform policy development. Clearly, Kitsap County is giving more of a voice to the animal rights groups pushing their agenda than a 40-plus year old business that has been selling farm supplies, pet food, and puppies and kittens to their happy customers for generations! Kitsap County is voting on an ordinance which will prohibit retail sales of puppies and kittens except from a certified animal welfare organization or bred onsite at a small-scale breeder.
At a time when the U.S. is encouraging small business and discouraging overregulation, Kitsap County is proposing an ordinance which fails to protect legal, in compliant businesses against an animal rights driven agenda and wrongful attack on retail pet stores simply because their business does not fall in line with the ideology of the radical animal rights groups.
- Pet stores are accountable, traceable sources for pets and are legitimate, legal businesses which are self-sustained.
- Kitsap County's proposed ordinance is a mandate that stores sell animals sourced from unregulated rescues and shelters which incurs a serious threat to public safety and health of both people and other animals.
- These mandates to ban the sale of puppies and kittens from licensed, regulated breeders do ZERO to stop animal abuse or unlicensed breeders already in violation of the law!
- If passed, this Kitsap County ordinance would be a mandate on pet stores to sell dog and cats from UNREGULATEDsources, making this a rescue mandate on pet stores; eliminating consumer choice while imposing a safety risk to consumers, families, and other family pets.
- If passed, this Kitsap County ordinance hands the regulatory over to animal control agencies, making animal rights organizations the enforcement arm of this potential law.
- Shelters and rescues are not equipped to provide accurate behavior and safety assessments on animals, and are often misguided, refusing to acknowledge inherent dangers or background of dogs just to get them adopted out.
- If passed, this Kitsap County ordinance imposes a health and safety risk to residents in the area since shelters and rescues are exempt from the laws that are required of professional breeders.
- It is well documented by the Center for Disease Control that many of the dogs in shelters and rescues are imported from foreign countries such as China, Korea, Mexico, Turkey, bringing with them disease, little or no health safeguards, and no behavioral background information.
- To learn more about the TRUTH ABOUT PET SALE BANS click here.
Please take one minute of your time to OPPOSE Kitsap County Pet Sale Ban and click the link below to urge the Kitsap County Commissioners to OPPOSE this dangerous and misguided ordinance.
*Please customize the boiler plate message to make it your own. Thank you!